Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Spicy Shrimp and Bok Choy Stir Fry

A couple of weeks ago I unsuccessfully attempted to follow the South Beach Diet Phase I for two weeks. I was mainly unsuccessful because the recipes that Steve and I tried for dinner were less than stellar.  And, well, lets face it, I love me some carbs. :)  However, we tried this recipe and have decided to make it a "go-to".  Enjoy!

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 scallions
2 minced garlic cloves (I buy the pre-minced stuff from the store and use a teaspoon.  You can never have too much garlic) :)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 lbs. bok choy
2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce- aka Sriracha

Instructions


1.  Chop the bok choy crosswise.  Thinly slice the scallions and separate the white and green parts.

2.  In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, scallion whites (but keep the greens!) and garlic.

3.  In a wok or pan, heat vegetable oil on medium-high heat.  Add shrimp mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp turn pink and are cooked through.  Transfer to a large (clean) bowl.

4.  Add bok choy, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly tender.  Drain any liquid from the skillet and add the bok choy to the bowl with the shrimp.

5.  Add soy sauce and chili-garlic sauce to the pan, stir and bring to a boil.  Add shrimp mixture and toss until coated.  You only need to cook the shrimp again until they are reheated.

6.  Stir in scallion greens and serve warm and over rice if desired (but then its not South Beach Friendly).

Attributed to: South Beach Diet iphone app (yes, really)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this spicy bok choy Shrimp Stir Fry. I'm sure if I cook this my dad will get surprise. I hope you can share a lots of recipes here.

    ReplyDelete